Re: [css3-lists] inline list items

On 09/06/2011 20:48, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>  wrote:
>> I propose adding 'display: inline-list-item' to CSS3 Lists
>> to handle the rather common case of inline lists.
>>
>> This value would be exactly like 'inline' except that the
>> element also generates a list marker, which is itself also
>> formatted exactly like an inline box. If 'list-item-position'
>> is 'inside', then the marker is inside the principal inline
>> box. If 'list-item-position' is 'outside', then the marker
>> is immediately before the principal inline box, such that
>> the element generates two sibling inline boxes.
>
> I like the idea, with the caveat that this whole thing is silly and we
> really just need to split 'display' into subproperties.
>
> I don't like 'outside' making the ::marker a sibling to the list-item,
> because it's a child for normal list-items.  I'd prefer they act the
> same with respect to the element-tree.  Obviously, though, positioned
> markers don't make much sense for inline list items.  I'd be okay with
> just making the ::marker for inline list items ignore
> 'list-style-position' and always treat the ::marker as an inline
> child.

FWIW I agree with fantasai's proposal and Tab's comments.  It is
anomalous that there's no inline list-item, as becomes obvious when you
construct a matrix of what "split display into subproperties" implies
(as I did when reviewing the new box terminology introduced into CSS21).

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net