Re: [css3-text] line break opportunities are based on *syllable* boundaries?

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:39:45 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, www-international@w3.org
2011/1/29 Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>:
> Isn't "this group of characters is a word / personal name" a matter of
> _markup_, not style?  That is, to tell that a sequence of characters is a
> name seems like it either involves good understanding of the context the
> sequence is used in (sounds like a hard AI problem) or the author explicitly
> marking it up as a name; that's semantic information, not stylistic.  I seem
> to recall there being discussion about adding a <name> element to HTML5,
> though I'm not sure it went anywhere.

You are absolutely correct. And this is exactly what I suggested: just
give us something that allows us to do some manual override. Leave
word boundary identification to the author and don't even bother to
use lexical resources.

> If it's marked up (<name>, <span class="name">, whatever), then it seems
> that all that's needed on the CSS end is saying that "white-space:nowrap"
> should prevent linebreaks even at non-whitespace breaking opportunities.
>  Which is what UAs do in practice, and what the spec seems to say already.
>
> Am I just missing something?

I asked the same question a few years ago. Unfortunately, the problem
is that all the attribute that SHOULD be able to do such things either
do not act on CJK characters or do not act on anything that is not a
block. As to why we have these restrictions, this is completely beyond
my understanding.

--
cheers,
-ambrose