Re: [CSS3-UI] text-overflow:ellipsis (freshly rewritten/expanded and incorporated into editor's draft)

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 13:45, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> > I suggest not following Opera and Webkit for bidi behavior. This example:
> > width:60px;">HelloKitty</div>
> > renders as "...Hello" in Webkit and Opera, which I think is clearly
> wrong.
> > IE renders it as "...loKitty", which I think is right.
>
> fantasai and I were unable to reproduce your results, on the contrary
> we got interop between Opera, WebKit, IE8, IE9 on that example:

> width:60px;">HelloKitty</div>
>
> "...Hello"
>
> that is - ALL implementations:
> * truncate grapheme clusters as necessary in *reverse document source
> order* regardless of block direction (dir, direction property, etc.).
> * render the ellipsis on the tail of the block direction (ltr = on the
> right, rtl = on the left) for text that is all in a LTR language.

I see. IE9 gives different results depending on whether it's in quirks mode
or not; I had it in quirks mode by mistake. Sorry.

> Also try playing with this example:
> height:100px;
> > border:1px solid black; font-size:16px;
> > white-space:pre;">HelloKittyוסוכנויות</div>
> > IE clips visually, Webkit and Opera clip logically. I think the WG
> > eventually decided that visual clipping was better (and I agree).
>
> In this case as well there was interop across IE9/Opera/WebKit on
> truncation, that is:
> * all implementations truncated in reverse document source order
>
> Rendering was slightly different.
>
> Opera and Webkit continue with the literal visual/physical display of
> ellipsis per block direction as noted above.
>
> e.g.:
>
> "HelloKittyוסוכנ..."
>
> However, IE9 displayed the ellipsis *between* the HelloKitty and the
> Hebrew characters (Per fantasai and my test yesterday, fantasai please
> confirm this.)
>
> "HelloKitty...וסוכנ"

I can't reproduce this in IE9 standards mode. In fact, it seems to behave
like Opera and Webkit now. Testcase attached; I can't get the ellipsis to
appear in the middle of the text at any window width.

Aside: they also have Webkit's behavior for overflow:scroll --- the
placement of the ellipsis doesn't change as you scroll, so eventually the
text scrolls completely out of view and nothing is visible. This seems
clearly wrong to me.

> The problem here is that there is no real interop for text-overflow with
> > bidi text.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "real interop".

I was wrong, sorry.

Rob