Re: shadow through transparent background (was Re: Shadow knockout)

CC Brad Kemper.

On 27/01/2011 5:06 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
> On 27/01/2011 3:05 PM, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
[snip]
>> Or is it that because
>> backgrounds are transparent by default, it's thought the shadow
>> shouldn't be visible behind the content because that could create
>> legibility problems?
>

> Not if it's done carefully. Also a box-shadow does not have to be dark.
> If you offset the box-shadow enough, you can see how the full box-shadow
> is rendered. This means that a full box-shadow is painted first and then
> implementations have to apply a mask on the shadow where it intersects
> the border-box of the background.

This is a demo of how a box-shadow through a transparent background
would look like.

<http://css-class.com/test/temp/box-shadow-transparet-bg.htm>

The concept is that the more transparent color that you add over the
dark background, the lighter the combined transparent box-shadow and
transparent background-color appears over a dark background. The
combined colors must be close together in hue for this affect to happen.

If a light background is used instead, the opposite happens where the
combined transparent box-shadow and transparent background-color appears
darker over a light background.

On a side note, if the current specs stays the same, then authors will
surely hack the affect by a similar method as I have used to demonstrate
the concept.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/