Re: align property

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> True, but implementors have had to decide already what happens when a <center>'ed item is affected by a float. I wouldn't mind improving the interop of that by having something like 'center { display:block; block-align: center top; }' in the UA style sheet, and then let's nail down the less obvious effects of that in a block-align spec.
>>
>> You're welcome to figure out the behavior you want and spec it.  ^_^
>> I'm not interested in doing that right now.
>
> I thought we were talking about the value of the concept, not about who was going to write the spec.

The two are linked.  An idea that everyone agrees is great but no one
will spec is an idea that'll never get implemented, which doesn't help
authors.

Flexbox solves the use-case simply, and I'm writing that.  If an even
simpler solution (or one that works in block layout) is desired, it'll
need an editor who can untangle the details of what needs to be done.
I don't think it's sufficiently worthwhile to work on.  If you do,
that's great.