Re: Shadow knockout

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:05:03 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
At 11:57 PM +0100 1/26/11, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>On 01/26/2011 11:22 PM, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>>     My guess is he's asking "if I define a semi-transparent or
>>  transparent background for an element with a drop shadow, why can't I
>>  see the part of the shadow that's 'behind' the element through the
>>  background, and is there a way to make it appear there?".
>
>FWIW, it might be harder but it's doable with SVG filters.

    I don't doubt it.  I do have to wonder why an outset shadow is
clipped by the border box, though.  Because it is a bit weird to
shadow a box, then decide to make the background transparent and not
see the rest of the shadow.  Is that an ease-of-implementation thing?
Or is it that because backgrounds are transparent by default, it's
thought the shadow shouldn't be visible behind the content because
that could create legibility problems?

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/