Re: Shadow knockout

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:05:03 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
At 11:57 PM +0100 1/26/11, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>On 01/26/2011 11:22 PM, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>>     My guess is he's asking "if I define a semi-transparent or
>>  transparent background for an element with a drop shadow, why can't I
>>  see the part of the shadow that's 'behind' the element through the
>>  background, and is there a way to make it appear there?".
>FWIW, it might be harder but it's doable with SVG filters.

    I don't doubt it.  I do have to wonder why an outset shadow is
clipped by the border box, though.  Because it is a bit weird to
shadow a box, then decide to make the background transparent and not
see the rest of the shadow.  Is that an ease-of-implementation thing?
Or is it that because backgrounds are transparent by default, it's
thought the shadow shouldn't be visible behind the content because
that could create legibility problems?

Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/