Re: align property

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:12:22 -0800
Cc: Bruno Podvezanec <bruno5544@gmail.com>, Mark Kenny <beingmrkenny@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Jan 26, 2011, at 3:54 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> not about a centered element also being floated.  That would be
> trivial to resolve.  It's about floats elsewhere in the document that
> can have effects elsewhere.

True, but implementors have had to decide already what happens when a <center>'ed item is affected by a float. I wouldn't mind improving the interop of that by having something like 'center { display:block; block-align: center top; }' in the UA style sheet, and then let's nail down the less obvious effects of that in a block-align spec.

I do still occasionally use a <center> tag as a quick and dirty cheat. I'd feel considerably less dirty if I could use block-align instead (but I'd probably continue using <center> for years to come in HTML emails, thanks to the sorry state of certain email clients).