Re: 'border-image' confusion

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:26:53 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
At 10:28 AM -0800 1/26/11, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com> wrote:
>>    I suppose, but it seems like saying "100%" or "5px" once (and then being
>>  able to control how the image is repeated, with round/space/repeat) isn't
>>  all that more difficult than having a special keyword.
>>    Is there some reason why the current behavior of 'border-image-slice' is
>>  desirable?  If there is, then yes, a new keyword would be needed to make the
>>  "use a single symbol all the way around" case happen.  But I don't see why
>>  slices overlapping should cause those slices to be forced to complete
>>  transparency in the first place, so I don't see why syntax changes are
>>  needed.
>I don't think overlapping regions actually make sense.  You can define
>an unambiguous handling of it, but it'll make about as much sense as
>the location of the edges of an inline containing block. (In that
>situation, you can have a "left" edge that's further right than the
>"right" edge.)  This is why I think the current treatment of
>overlapping regions is fine, and why I think it's clearer to simply
>say directly that you want the whole thing, via a keyword rather than

    Since the slicing is described as an offset from the corresponding
edge, an offset of 100% doesn't strike me as being that difficult to
understand.  It might be slightly more difficult to diagram, but not
overly so and anyway I don't see that diagramming difficulty is a
reason to do or not do something.
    Are you saying that's the reason for the change of slicing
behavior?  Or is there something else that drove the change?

Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/