Re: Filter Templates

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Patrick Dengler <patd@microsoft.com>wrote:

> I have been thinking about this as well.  I've been reading Eric's draft on
> SVG Filters:
> http://dev.w3.org/Graphics-FX/modules/filters/publish/SVGFilter.html
>
> He has proposed (along with others?) that we introduce new primitives such
> as : feDropShadow.
>
> On further reflection I've had the following thoughts:
>
> I believe there are up to 100 (?) different 'high level-canned' effects
> that can be achieved via Adobe or Inkscape and composed successfully from
> the 17 SVG primitives.  We vaguely alluded to wanting to think about how to
> present the web developer with these canned effects and how they relate to
> SVG.  This I am sure is what led to Eric's incorporation of feDropShadow.
>
> Would CSS eventually adopt all/most of these designer effects or limit them
> to only a handful (i.e. box-shadow, blur)?
>
> My suspicion is that the primitive nature of SVG effects are unapproachable
> my most developers, so the most common higher level canned effects should
> probably be expressible in CSS proper (i.e. box-shadow).
> In order then to achieve more granular control or the wider range of
> designer effects, you would most likely use a tool and then incorporate that
> into your page and reference them as per Rob's spec and Mozilla's support or
> filters on HTML (I've been having fun with animating these as well).

I think that's what we should do. I think there will be steady creep of
common filters being added to CSS, but I think that's OK as long as the
mapping from the canned CSS filters to the SVG filter machinery is precisely
defined in every case, so implementation will be easy.

> As an additional note, I also see the introduction of mx,my,mw and mh and
> though the purpose seems to better performance I am wondering if I am
> missing something else. If it is only performance I think we need to be
> careful here. I've gone down the path of what is relative performance.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: for performance,
implementations already need to ignore the regions the author gave and
compute their own minimal regions. So mx/my/mw/mh should be dropped from the
spec. Furthermore, we should get rid of the -10%/-10%/120%/120% hack and say
that by default the filter region is infinite. Easier for authors, easier
for implementors.

Rob