Re: [css3-speech] ISSUE-153 speak: none; usage incompatible with other values of speak

Charles wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#text-equiv
> states:
>
> 1.1.1 Non-text Content: All non-text content that is presented to the
> user has a text alternative that serves the equivalent purpose, except
> for the situations listed below. (Level A)
> Decoration, Formatting, Invisible: If non-text content is pure
> decoration, is used only for visual formatting, or is not presented to
> users, then it is implemented in a way that it can be ignored by
> assistive technology.
>
> speak:none (or speakability:none as Fantasai suggested) would allow
> exclusion of such displayed content from being read aloud.

Thanks Charles. Obviously I totally agree on the principle, but I was
making a point about the way this can be achieved. My impression was
(and still is, although I am not adamant, I just have a strong
preference) that "display:none" could also be set in an aural style
sheet to achieve the most suitable presentation for a screen-reader
user (by effectively overriding the main "visual" styles). I do
appreciate the point about separating "display" and "speakability"
aspects though, which has benefits beyond the mere purist
satisfaction. I will explore Fantasai's suggestion. Any other thoughts
welcome! Regards, Daniel