RE: [css3-speech] ISSUE-153 speak: none; usage incompatible with other values of speak

Daniel Weck [mailto:daniel.weck@gmail.com] wrote on Wednesday, January
19, 2011 8:09 AM

> Oops, I apologize for this editorial mistake: I meant
> "display:none", not "visibility:hidden". The former
> effectively 'deactivates' an element (so to speak) whereas
> the latter is more similar to "voice- volume:0%". In other
> words, "visibility:hidden" preserves the visual space that
> the element would normally occupy if it was visible
> (resulting in an empty or transparent area that still takes
> part in the page layout), and conversely "voice-volume:0%"
> results in an audio silence lasting as long as the duration
> of non-silent TTS playback.
> Regards, Daniel

Actually, that's an argument in favor of speak:none.  It would be
inconvenient to make listeners wait for something that is merely hidden
to sighted readers.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster