Re: [css3-font] Extension of font-stretch property

2011/1/18 Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But is this realistic? Perhaps with Latin, but with CJK? Maybe with
>> J/K, but I cannot see how this can be realistic with C, especially TC.
>>
>> Right now we can't even count on having a true italic (e.g., kai
>> style) font on a random user's system. Nor count on having more than a
>> single "light" weight for serif and a single "medium" weight for
>> sans-serif. Why would we assume that things will not only get better,
>> but so much better (and ubiquitous) that we can assume we have fonts
>> that are designed with interpolated width and weight in mind?
>>
>> Just my personal opinion.
>
> My understanding is that because CJK fonts have so many glyphs, for
>  typefaces with multiple weights, use of axis-based technologies in
> designing the typefaces is just as common as it is for western fonts,
> perhaps more so.

For Japanese, I can see a lot of options. Apple provides two weights
for both serif and sans-serif, and CS (for the sake of providing an
example) provides 6 weights, so perhaps font designers in Japan are
indeed using interpolation techniques, although I would not know if
this is the case. But beyond that, if you are not using a Mac, you are
usually stuck with a single weight for serif (usually light) and a
single weight (usually medium) for sans.

For simplified Chinese, Snow Leopard ships with two weights for sans.
But, like Japanese, this is the exception and not the norm.

The reality for the vast majority of users—the reality we should be
considering for the web—is that we have one weight for sans, one
weight for serif, no width variations, and very possibly not even a
true italic (which, even if it exists, would not be picked up by the
system because of what people think italics are).

--
cheers,
-ambrose

does anyone know how to fix Snow Leopard? it broke input method
switching and is causing many typing mistakes so it is very annoying