Re: [css3-transform] definition of skewing

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:05:38 -0800
Cc: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com>
On Jan 17, 2011, at 5:13 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> Iíve attached an example.
> It simply rotates a symbol 360 degrees around one of the axis.
>
> Let me know if the attachment doesnít make it and Iíll post it online.

Here's the CSS 3D transforms equivalent:
<http://smfr.org/misc/spinny.html>

View this in Safari 5 on Mac or Windows for actual 3D. In Chrome, it will fall back to flattened-3D, which, ironically, looks closer to your sample.

Using actual 3D transforms to express a flip like this also looks better: it doesn't suffer the Necker cube effect.

Note that I didn't have to muck with z-order or add any extra elements.

Simon