Re: [css3-font] Extension of font-stretch property

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:17:19 -0800 (PST)
To: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, MasaFuji <masa@fuji.email.ne.jp>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Ambrose Li wrote:

> I am not so sure that the original question was even talking
> about artificially condensing and expanding fonts. But
> supposing that it was, maybe we should at least be aware that
> real condensed and expanded fonts generally do not even exist
> in the CJK world, and the only way we can achieve any variation
> in width at all is artificially.

This is not entirely correct.  While families that include a
mixture of widths generally don't exist, newspapers in Japan
often use a slightly expanded (i.e. non-square em-box) face
such as the one below:

  Mainichi Mincho (Morisawa):
  http://www.morisawa.co.jp/font/fontlist/details/fontfamily038.html?s=87

Regards,