Re: [CSS3-UI] 'pointer-events', Focus, and Keyboard Navigation

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:50, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, folks-
>
> It occurs to me that we need to address the effects of the 'pointer-events'
> property [1] with regards to keyboard navigation (such as tabbing).
>
> For example, if an author makes a particular element insensitive to pointer
> events (e.g., using 'pointer-events:none'), but it is still focusable, that
> will present a very different user experience when using keyboard versus
> mouse.   Maybe that could be done deliberately to benefit each interaction
> mode, but it may be done accidentally, leading to a confusing or frustrating
> keyboard experience.
>
> I'm not necessarily suggesting that we yoke the two properties, nor that we
> add focusability implications to the 'pointer-events' property, but I do
> think we should discuss the implications and see how we want to define this.
>  Perhaps an informative note in the definition of the 'pointer-events'
> property would help steer authors to think about how they are using this
> (such as a suggestion that if pointer-events are turned off, authors should
> also consider making the element not focusable, as well).
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#pointer-events
>
> Regards-
> -Doug Schepers
> W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs

Noted and resolved as Issue 12:

http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-ui#issue-12

Agreed with informative note suggestion - I took your wording with
only slight tweaks and added it to the editor's draft in the
definition of the 'none' value for 'pointer-events'.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#pointer-events

Thanks,

Tantek

--