Re: [css3-flexbox] intuitivity and width computation rules

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:06:39 -0500
To: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 1/13/11 1:39 PM, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:16:04 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Ah. Row backgrounds aren't painted on the row itself, just on the
>> cells originating in that row, if any. This part _is_ specified in CSS
>> 2.1. ;) See section 17.5.1.
>
> Doesn't seem very clear to me. For instance:
>
> "A 'missing cell' is a cell in the row/column grid that is not occupied
> by an element or pseudo-element. Missing cells are rendered as if an
> anonymous table-cell box occupied their position in the grid."

Interesting.  None of Gecko, Presto, Webkit implement that, for either
HTML tables or CSS ones.  What does IE do?  It sounds to me like that
line needs to be removed from the spec, since it's completely
disconnected from reality...

(Gotta love conformance requirements with no conformance tests in the
test suite!)

-Boris