RE: [css3-flexbox] intuitivity and width computation rules

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 05:44:05 +0000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Well, like Daniel, I thought that specifying box-flex meant I didn't have to set width. In my case at least, what may have contributed to this were the many super-simple examples and testcases which mostly involve boxes with very little or no content - very commonly the "1", "2", "3" flex sample seen in almost every blog post on the topic [1] - where you don't run into this situation.

I wouldn't be surprised if others end up assuming the same i.e. setting box-flex 2, 1, 1 does not require setting widths to 50%, 25%, 25%. And their reaction to being told they have to will often be "well, what's the point then ?"

[1] http://www.the-haystack.com/2010/01/23/css3-flexbox-part-1/