[css3-transform] definition of skewing

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:52:28 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
All,

It seems that the definition of skew in the CSS transform is a little odd.
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#SkewXDefined contains the definition of skewx and skewy. As you can see, the calculation is using 'tan(a)'.
This means that is you have a skew from 45 to 135 degrees, the animated content will stretch as well as skew.
It seems that this is not really the desired behavior...

If it is, I would like to propose that we extend the 'rotate' transform to take an additional parameter.
Ie rotate(45deg, 55deg) would rotate the x-axies by 45 degrees and the y-axis by 55.
I think that is a more natural use of skew.

Rik