Re: [css3] support for filters

On 11/01/2011 12:29 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Rik Cabanier<cabanier@adobe.com>  wrote:
>
>> Ø  You can already use any SVG filter in CSS.
>>
>> Is this part of the CSS3 spec or are you referring to mozilla’s
>> implementation?
>>

> Both actually. You can apply any SVG filter to SVG content via CSS, per the
> SVG specification. In our implementation you can apply any SVG filter to any
> content via CSS.
>
> Rob

Can you please clarify SVG content? I can use SVG content within XHTML
with an xml extension. The way you are answering, it sounds like you can
use SVG filters as part of the CSS syntax within a <style> element of
external stylesheet.

I see this post,

https://developer.mozilla.org/web-tech/2008/09/15/svg-effects-for-html-content/

Where you write.

  | Robert O'Callahan Says:
  |
  |  Right now they can ONLY be used in XHTML.
  |
  |  That should change soon when we add the ability to reference
  |  external SVG files from plain HTML documents.

With this,

.class { mask: url(#Gaussian_Blur); }

how do we create a reference. Do we use something like this or similar?

<link rel="stylesheet" type="image/svg+xml" href="file.svg" />

And within this particular SVG file we have our SVG filters.

<filter id="Gaussian_Blur">
<feGaussianBlur in="SourceGraphic" stdDeviation="3" />
</filter>

Or do we use something like this.

.class { mask: url(http://example.com/file.svg#Gaussian_Blur); }

--