Re: [CSS21] WD 9.2.3: Spacing of run-in headings

On 09/01/2011 23:00, Peter Moulder wrote:
>    # If [A runs in to B] then A is rendered as an 'inline' element at the
>    # start of B's principal box.
>    # ...
>    # ... example:
>    #   ...
>    #<H3>A run-in heading.</H3>
>    #<P>And a paragraph of text that follows it.</P>
>    #   ...
>    # This example might be formatted as:
>    #
>    #   A run-in heading. And a ...
>
> So<H3>A run-in heading.</H3>  is rendered as an 'inline' element at the
> start of the<P>.  But where does the space between ‘heading.’ and ‘And’
> come from?

Good catch :-)

Clearly in this circumstance we do want a space, otherwise run-ins
aren't going to serve their purpose very well.  Moreover, the space
needs to belong to the block being run into rather than to the run-in.
(Imagine a text-decoration on the H3.)  The question is whether we
/always/ want a space, or whether we're supposed to provide one
ourselves (eg via :before on the block).

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net