Re: [CSS3] support for linear-gradients & radial-gradients

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 18:31, Irfan Mir <theirf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>       I was looking through the latest draft, published on the 15th of December, 2010, for CSS3 images and I was trying to test some of the proposed and drafted features
>
> In regards to gradients, I could not get them to work in the latest versions
> of Webkit or Mozilla Firefox.
> Was there an error in my syntax:
> ..gradientBox{
>                       background:linear-gradient(#f5f5f5, #d3d3d3);
> }
>
> or are css3 gradients, the non vendor specific version, as introduced in the
> draft not yet supported by any browser?
>
> If so, is there a method or browser I can use to test these drafted features among others as well?
>
> Thanks in Advance & Best Regards,
>                                                      Irfan M.
>
> P.S. I prefer vendor-specific styling because it does not validate in the W3C's CSS validation test.
> Speaking of which, would the linear-gradient / radial-gradient validate or
> not, I am assuming it would not due to its draft status? In other words,
> does styling have to be out of draft and recommended for use to validate?

Both Gecko as WebKit have implemented the gradients, both are using
vendor prefixes.

-webkit-linear-gradient / -moz-linear-gradient
-webkit-repeating-linear-gradient / -moz-repeating-linear-gradient
-webkit-radial-gradient / -moz-radial-gradient
-webkit-repeating-radial-gradient / -moz-repeating-radial-gradient

Mozilla has published excellent documentation for the properties as well:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-linear-gradient
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-repeating-linear-gradient
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-radial-gradient
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-repeating-radial-gradient