[CSS21] WD 9.2.1.1: percentages vs anon block boxes

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 19:12:59 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
In the following example:

          Block

I believe we want the width:50% to be calculated with respect to the
anonymous table cell even though it's anonymous (and is thus not the
"closest non-anonymous ancestor box").

So I believe we only want to skip past the anonymous block boxes created
by 9.2.1.1 rather than all anonymous boxes.

Another problem with the way this provision was quickly added to the
specification is that it results in contradictions with each of the
places whose behaviour it was intended to modify: if propdef-top says
that "percentages refer to height of containing block", and the
containing block of a certain box is (according to 10.1) defined by
an anonymous block box, then that contradicts the claim in 9.2.1.1 that
the anonymous block box is ignored.

Avoiding these contradictions requires actually changing propdef-top and
so on (e.g. introduce a new concept "containing height" that propdef-top
etc. can reference), or changing the definition of "containing block".

pjrm.