Re: [CSS21] WD 5.12.1: definition of "in the same flow"

On 8/01/2011 9:01 AM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> About two-thirds down §5.12.1, "in the same flow" is defined as "not
> positioned and not a float", and §9.3.2 defines "positioned" such that
> it includes relatively positioned things, so the definition appears to
> consider all relatively-positioned descendents as not being in the same
> flow.

9.3.2 is referring to how boxes are laid out when offset is declared on
elements with a position value that is not static. Position relative is
ignored in parts since elements with position relative are in 'normal
flow' where elements with position absolute are part of a different
positioning scheme, apply named 'absolute positioning' [1].

> This is surprising to me.  If it is intentional, then please draw
> explicit attention to this.  If that was not the intention then
> "positioned" must be changed to "absolutely positioned".

It's not clear what you are saying and what must be changed to
"absolutely positioned"?

5.12.1 or 9.3.2?

> Minor: It would be good if the forward reference technical terms
> ‘block-level’, ‘positioned’ (or ‘absolutely positioned’ as the case may
> be) and ‘float’ be hyperlinked to the anchor names responsible for
> defining those terms, namely visuren.html#block-level,
> visuren.html#positioned-element (‘positioned’),
> visuren.html#absolutely-positioned (‘absolutely positioned’), and
> visuren.html#floats respectively.

Yes, this would be nice. My advice, go through the weaving matrix of
CSS2.1 and eventually after years, it sinks in. Also ignore the
irregularities between elements and boxes.

1. <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#positioning-scheme>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/