[CSS21] Issue 195 - relative positioning of inlines containing blocks - comments on Working Draft

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:09:43 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
As a result of the resolution of Issue 195,[1] 9.2.1.1 (Anonymous block
boxes) now says:

   # When an inline box contains an in-flow block-level box, the inline
   # box (and its inline ancestors within the same line box) are broken
   # around the block-level box, dividing the inline box into two pieces
   # even if either side is empty. [...]. When such an inline box is
   # affected by relative positioning, the relative positioning also
   # affects the block-level box contained in the inline box.

What does "affects" mean here?  That the block-level box behaves as if
it itself has position:relative?  Or merely that its location on the
canvas is translated along with that of the inline?

The difference is important because in the former case the z-index
stacking could be affected.  I suggest we use a clearer wording here.

[1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-195

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net