[CSS21] 10.8.1 (line-height) - comments on Working Draft

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:03:11 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
This is an extension of #16[1] in my series of issues with the inline
formatting model.

10.8.1:

   # On a block container element whose content is composed of inline-
   # level elements, 'line-height' specifies the minimal height of line
   # boxes within the element. [...]
   #
   # [...]
   #
   # On an inline-level element, 'line-height' specifies the height that
   # is used in the calculation of the line box height (except for
   # inline replaced elements [...]).

(Note that fantasai proposes changing the latter sentence to:

   | On a non-replaced inline element, 'line-height' specifies the
   | height that is used in the calculation of the line box height.

in [2].)

Firstly, this is not exhaustive.  What does 'line-height' mean on other
elements (specifically, table elements and replaced elements)?  Is it
ignored?  If so, that needs to be stated.

Secondly, this is over-specified.  What does 'line-height' mean on
inline-level block container elements (specifically, inline-block
elements and the wrapper box for inline-table elements)?  For
inline-blocks, for example, does 'line-height' influence the "inside"
(the line boxes it contains) or the "outside" (the line box in which it
sits), or both?   It seems as if it applies to the "inside", since it's
(probably!) the margin area height that contributes to the height of the
line box in which it sits.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jul/0535.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0010.html
(Issue 17)