[css3-text] text-emphasis-position: below left

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:09:42 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: ıɥɔıɐʇ ɐʇɐqɐʍɐʞ <kawabata.taichi@gmail.com>
Regarding the issue in the spec of the text-emphasis-position property[1]:

> Do we need to add ''left'' combinations?

Taichi Kawabata at NTT gave me a sample of "below left" in Japanese, one as a scanned image of a printed book and the other from a screenshot of the DVD edition of the book.

The book has many ruby and many emphasis marks, and therefore the author decided to put emphasis marks to the left in vertical text flow. We don't have a sample of horizontal text flow, but from its reasons, "below left" seems to be the right choice for the case.

I don't think this is common, but we've got at least one example here.

Regards,
Koji

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-emphasis-position

em-ruby-uchimura-kanzo-zenshu.png
(image/png attachment: em-ruby-uchimura-kanzo-zenshu.png)

em-ruby-uchimura-kanzo-zenshu-dvd.png
(image/png attachment: em-ruby-uchimura-kanzo-zenshu-dvd.png)