RE: [css3-flexbox] Flexbox needs to define where the baseline of a box is

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:58:37 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
I am not sure it was quoted in this thread yet, but here is what was decided in Oslo [1]:

   - RESOLVED: Baseline of a flexbox is the baseline of its first
     child. Note: this may be revisited based on use cases. ISSUE-141
       http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/141

It handles most cases of interest, but not the case when the flexbox is completely empty. Then the baseline can only be based on the box.

I am not convinced though that "after outer edge" (border box, right?) as Tab suggested is the best option. I think the baseline should be somewhere in bounds of content box. Then at least some cases retain continuity:
	* adding a zero-height child to flexbox with auto height does not change the baseline
	* baseline of an empty flexbox with "height:1em" is exactly where it would have been if it had a child with one line of text in font with no descent (and no MBP)
	* flexbox padding and border don't affect its baseline, whether it is empty or not.

I am not sure where exactly in content box is the best place for baseline... I think bottom of content box would be a good choice.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0002.html