Re: Printing and background colors/images

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:24:41 -0800
To: ifette@google.com
Cc: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
2011/2/22 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette@google.com>:
> I really think this is something that we should be able to figure out
> without having to throw the burden to the user -- throwing up a prompt is
> really no better than the current status quo. At the end of the day, IMO a
> good user experience is that when the user says they want to print
> something, they get a printout that makes sense. If the web developer is
> actually thinking about printing and has a way to signal that, then the web
> author is probably in a much better position to say what actually makes
> sense to print. If the web developer hasn't thought about it, then we (the
> UA) are the next best equipped to figure out what makes sense to print vs
> what doesn't. The user is in the worst position to make that decision in
> most cases, and has limited feasible interactions to signal their desire as
> to what the output should look like.

Right.

I still kinda like the idea of doing this automagically by honoring
backgrounds set in print stylesheets, but that's too magical from an
implementation perspective.

I think we should handle this through a property, like your option #3,
which controls the behavior of background printing.  I'm not sure of a
good name.