[css3-fonts] font selection for Unicode Variation Selector

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:15:46 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
When source text contains Unicode Variation Selector[1][2][3], how does that affect font choice for the code point?

Here's an example. With the following style:
  font-family: A B;
and let's say both fonts contains the glyph for U+8FBA, but only font B contains VS1 of U+8FBA.

For the source text of U+8FBA VS1, should font A be used to render it, or B?

I assume font B, as font A does not contain the glyph the author specified and ignores VS1, but I'd appreciate clarification since Variation Selector can behave differently from the regular code point for font fallback.

Regards,
Koji

[1] Section 15.6, Variation Selectors of The Unicode Standard, Version 5.1.0 <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0>
[2] http://unicode.org/reports/tr37/