From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:21:19 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> fantasai sent on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:48 AM
>> CSS Variables
>> -------------
>>    glazou: Second point, Tab's proposal introduces $ for
>> delimiting variables
>>    <dbaron> (Is $ easily available on keyboards around the world?)
>>    glazou: It changes a lot the way we introduce new idents
>> inside CSS. So
>>            please review and comment.
> Not sure whether it's easily available, but it's pretty common in
> programming languages for variable names.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_sign#Programming_languages

The euro symbol unfortunately makes things painful, but the $ symbol
is still relatively easy to reach and programmers tend to need to swap
to an en keyboard anyway if they want access to {} and [] both of
which are absolutely necessary for CSS (heck, even | is hard to reach
on European keylayouts, and it too is relatively important in CSS).

The general reference for keyboard layouts is probably:

Offhand, it looks like the Belgian French keyboard isn't conducive to
this task, but I can't imagine not shifting to en-US to write CSS.