Re: CSS Variables

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 22:59:46 -0800
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Feb 7, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Daniel Glazman
> <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
>> Le 06/02/11 01:34, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>>
>>> theming webpages and webapps, both large and small.  I and some other
>>> Chrome engineers have put together a proposal for variables that is
>>> very similar in nature to what glazou proposed in
>>> <http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/cssvariables/>  (the syntax is a
>>> bit different, but that's mostly a bikeshedding detail).
>>
>> Hyatt and glazou, to be more precise.
>
> Ah, right.

In fact, Hyatt actually implemented CSS variables at one point, starting here:
http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/34666

And more commits here, including eventual disabling, due to lack of consensus in the CSS WG:
http://trac.webkit.org/search?q=%22css+variables%22&noquickjump=1&changeset=on

You may want to look at his original code and consider using it before implementing this from scratch.

Regards,
Maciej