Re: Vertical rhythm and images

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:28:47 -0800
To: Rob Crowther <robertc@boogdesign.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Rob Crowther <robertc@boogdesign.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I came across this question on StackOverflow today 'Is it possible to keep
> vertical rhythm using only CSS?':
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4986944
>
> Ignoring the specifics of the question, it seems like a useful thing for CSS
> to be able to do is set some element height to the closest multiple of a
> given value (eg: for a line height of 2em, either 2em or 4em or 6em or ...
> depending on the intrinsic size).
>
> The functionality already exists (sort of) in the 'round' value on
> 'border-image-repeat' - this is doing the same sort of thing, but with the
> appropriate slice of the border image.  How feasible would it be to extend
> this to arbitrary elements?

It's not possible in general right now.

That said, there has been some thought toward addressing this.  This
is a more general case of the "I want lines of text in different
elements to line up" problem that we want to solve with some sort of
line-grid that you can set for a page.  No one's offered a serious
proposal for this in some time, but I imagine that any good proposal
could be extendable to allow aligning elements to the grid as well.