Re: [CSS2.1] list-style-image sizing rules don't match reality

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:04:04 -0800
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Let me try one more time. Your initial message [1] said:
>
> # My suggested change is to replace line #3 in the algorithm with
> # "If the image has no intrinsic ratio, intrinsic width, or intrinsic
> # height, then its intrinsic ratio is assumed to be 1:1."
>
> It seems this is the behavior you want to *replace*, not the behavior
> you are suggesting. Yes/No ?
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Feb/0364.html

Not *quite*.  In the case of list-style-image, an image with no
intrinsic dimensions and no intrinsic ratio should be given a size of
1em by 1em, which happens to be precisely what my change still allows.

My suggested change was a minimum-edit suggestion to achieve what I
wanted, which was just to prevent an image with one intrinsic
dimension from triggering on rule 3.

I admit that it's not clear that my change has the effect I wanted,
given that I was complaining about the forced 1:1 ratio and my
suggested change still applies a 1:1 ratio.  I suggest following my
second suggestion instead, of replacing the rules list.  ^_^