Re: CSS Variables Draft Proposal

On 12/02/2011 4:29 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Colt Antonio Pini<Colt.Pini@nau.edu>  wrote:
>> I may be piping in at the wrong time, or I might be the wrong person to do so. But I just wanted to ask...
>>
>> What would be wrong with:
>>
>> @var $foo 'the value';
>> Or
>> @var $foo "the value";
>>
>> ?
>>
>> It seems that may help decide with problems such as @var $foo '/* the value */';
>
> Requiring quotes for ordinary CSS values seems inelegant.  Plus,
> strings are a valid type, and having to double up on quotes is ugly:
>
> @var $foo "'a font name'";
>
> ~TJ

Tab, there are two types of @rules that I know of that end with a
semicolon ';'. They are @import and @namespace, one of which must be
quoted and the other having parenthesis.

   @namespace foo "http://example.org";

   @import("example.css");

Your proposal is requiring this to change plus the syntax rules of CSS.
I fine now with seeing the '$' in between a declaration block for a
variable value but what I liked about glazou's proposal was how the
variable was set and had '{' '}' to show the full declaration. Doesn't
something like this delimit the nature of a string?

@var foo {
    <property>: <value>
}

--