RE: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:52:31 +0000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
CC: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
[Brad Kemper:]
> For myself, it is not all that unusual to find myself creating zero height
> blocks (with content in them) for one reason or another. I think columns
> should not be prevented from having zero width or a couple pixels of width
> when there are enough columns to do so (not infinite). It may end up being
> a very useful technique.

I want to emphasize my intent has never been to prevent such scenarios. I
just prefer when defaults are set up in such a manner as to make the primary
use-case easier to achieve. So the claim is not that there shouldn't be
a min-column-gap behavior. Just that this may not be a suitable default for
overconstrained cases given the main use-case for multicols.