Re: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:37 PM, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com> wrote:

> The important point of what I was saying is that, to me, columns are there for text. They should work well for text. I would also wonder how well that above alternative uses will work as the size of the containing block is scaled down.
>
> If it happens that columns can also be used for other things, that is great. But, their use for other things should not destroy their usefulness for text.

I think of columns as being for all manner of content, just as single column blocks are, not necessary for text. I do not want to exclude uses or techniques that are less traditional than just lineboxes only in the columns, just because the simplest case might sometimes look decent with an implementor-chosen width. Plus that just feels like the wrong thing to do.

For myself, it is not all that unusual to find myself creating zero height blocks (with content in them) for one reason or another. I think columns should not be prevented from having zero width or a couple pixels of width when there are enough columns to do so (not infinite). It may end up being a very useful technique.