Re: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:03:14 -0800
Cc: HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>

On Feb 10, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> While it can be argued to be what the author wanted - the
> column-width is auto but column-count and column-gap are explicitly
> specified so the algorithm makes every effort to honor the author's
> request

That's the argument that seems most compelling to me.

> - I'm not sure this is helpful as it means column-width:auto
> might yield poorer result when, for instance, the user snaps/tiles
> his window to half the screen space.

If I had 10 auto-width columns that got very narrow when the window got half as big, then at least it is not at all surprising. I wouldn't want my values ignored because the browser thought it knew better than to give me what I asked for. I should have thought of the ramifications before I tried to squeeze so many columns into a flexible-width layout. And isn't that what media queries on width are for?