RE: CSS Variables

Actually, I think your lack of concern is my worry. Were
vendor-prefixed feature intended for production use ? No.
But in the real world, they are. (And not just border-radius).
It did not happen overnight; for a long time, that knowledge
was arcane and somewhat limited. Not anymore. I do not,
as of yet, see a reason to believe that this process avoids this
outcome in the long run.

It's one thing if one has to know about, and deal with, individual
nightlies. One can argue this constitutes a barrier to entry. Or,
in IE's case, that you have to use bits with no UI, address bar,
back button etc.

It's another if all the developer has to do is do a one time opt-in
and have said newfangled features pushed to them regularly and
nearly silently. This imo increases the odds that over time Joe Author
- whom you can count on to be perfectly confident in his own
judgment and abilities - will use said features on his blog or home
page to add some pizzaz and show off. And he will tell his peeps to
subscribe to the dev channel to get the new and shiny.

Eventually, the rest of us will get bug reports that will be harder to
resolve than they are now as the only clue something Chrome-specific
is going on will be the investigator's knowledge of what CSS is experimental.
(Or, heaven forbid, which CSS is experimental in which browser...)

Note that I fully support the general goal and motives here. They're good.
Not so confident it'll work beyond the short term.

Last, I suspect being able to turn these features on/off in the stylesheet
would help your debugging too.

This being said, I won't add more in this thread. It's a separate discussion
from CSS Variables.