RE: CSS Variables

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 17:59:58 +0000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
[Boris Zbarsky:]

> Sure; that seems like a problem for the particular UA doing the
> experimenting, to be solved however it wishes, right?

A bit more than that. I'm suggesting browser vendors to informally
agree on a simple way to mark a stylesheet as 'opted into experimental
features for browser X'. In other words, replace all vendor prefixes
in the stylesheet with one global one. I do not think allowing
stylesheets to mix experimental and non-experimental features with
no visible way to tell such a mix is occurring is going to be
troublesome for all browser vendors.