Re: CSS Variables

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> I dunno, maybe I'm weird.  I consider experimental implementations a
>> perfectly fine and normal thing to do.
>
> Well, except that this particular experimental implementation can't be
> vendor-prefixed due to the syntax that was chosen, right?

The @var rule can be prefixed.  You can't prefix the *use* of variables, true.

(Note - we've been thinking about handling experiments differently
within Chrome.  Rather than vendor prefixing, implement them
unprefixed but only available in dev channel, not beta or public.
This has basically the same benefits in terms of not interfering with
final standardization, but makes it harder for a vendor prefix to
become widely used and thus necessary to support.  It also makes it
easy to experimentally support things that can't be prefixed well,
like this syntax.  This isn't decided yet, but variables might be a
good test pilot for the new approach.)