RE: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

Let's try a simple 'normal' use-case.

Say we have 600px of available width.
column-count is 4.
column-width is auto.
column-gap is 20px.

If I read the algorithm correctly we'd end up with 4 columns of
135px. I can see the argument for the result: the author did
specify a column-gap size but kept the column-width auto so
we honored what was specified.

Whether 135px is enough or better than the maximum 150px that
could be achieved by shrinking the specified gap really is
a function of the content, font size etc.

So on the basis of this 'reasonable' use-case I'd qualify my
earlier statement by saying the algorithm gives priority to
those constraints that are specified by the author. Which does
seem quite reasonable in such cases.

Now if we try something that gets us to (24):

Available width is 600px.
column-width is auto.
column-count is 6.
column-gap is 125px.

The current algorithm gives us

N := floor(available-width/column-gap) == floor(600px/125px) == 4 columns
W := (available-width - ((N - 1) * column-gap))/N == (600px - (3*125px))/4 == 56.25px columns

Hakon's suggested change yields N:=5 and thus W:= (600px - (4*125px))/5 == 20px i.e. more,
but much narrower columns.

So while we're squeezing in one more column, we're also getting a lot less content into
the multicol element. Let's assume our multicol element's height is also 600px. In the
current algorithm we get 4 columns of size 56.25px by 600px, for a total 'content surface'
of 135,000 pixels.

In the new algorithm, we have 5 columns 20px by 600px or 60,000px of 'content surface'.
Which makes sense since adding a column also adds 110px of white space which, substracted
over a small number of already thin columns, takes a big chunk out of them.

As the proposed change increases the gap/content ratio, I'm not so sure I agree with
it anymore :( But I'm also wondering whether we should be treating column-gap as a max
width and aim for the column-count closest to the author's request. It would be more
complex but it might yield better results more often ?