Re: CSS Variables

From: Luke Macpherson <macpherson@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:56:37 -0800
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
> This sounds similar to my old WebKit implementation of CSS Variables.  Hopefully you can reuse some of that code and not have to start from scratch.

I had been working on a webkit patch based on an earlier version of
discussions with Tab, and had used your patch as a reference. One of
the main differences from your patch at that point was that variables
might not be defined up-front in a single block. This introduces a lot
more complexity when it comes to doing things like shorthand
expansion.

This newer spec introduces the idea of typed variables, which should
be helpful in being able to do more work at parse time to verify the
correctness of the CSS being parsed - otherwise it was not possible to
tell if a value was valid or not until
CSSStyleSelector::applyProperty().