Re: CSS Variables

On 7 February 2011 20:19, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Care to elaborate on the volume and source of this feedback from implementors
> and authors ? It's hard to understand what 'overwhelming' means without any
> context. (Bonus points if they would send this feedback to the mailing list).

Speaking as an author, I'd prefer the $ syntax. If we take the
following two lines for example...

background-image: linear-gradient(90deg, hsl(var(midtone), 50%, 75%),
hsl(var(midtone), 50%, 25%));

background-image: linear-gradient(90deg, hsl($midtone, 50%, 75%),
hsl($midtone, 50%, 25%));

Personally I find it easier to scan and pick-out the variables in the
second line.

I also find that it's easier to type, requires less tracking of
balancing parentheses, and seems to more intuitively indicate a
variable than var(), which I would think was a function of some sort.

Jon