Re: [CSS3] support for linear-gradients & radial-gradients

On 6/02/2011 12:03 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I'm going to ignore most of your email, because it was unnecessarily
> hostile and ill-informed.

Sorry if my email seem hostile. It was not intended to be hostile.

>> You are implying extra meaning to that part of the spec. Again.
>>
>>   | This keyword can be considered a shorthand for
>>   | transparent black, rgba(0,0,0,0), which is its computed value.
>>
>> It states that transparent can be considered a shorthand for transparent
>> black. It does not say that transparent has a proper definition as being
>> transparent black. If it is considered a shorthand for rgba(0,0,0,0), then
>> it can also be considered a shorthand for all the other colors with full
>> alpha transparency. That is 16,777,215 colors.
>
> I'm not sure how you make this conclusion.

My conclusion was based on completely misunderstanding what
'transparent' was. I understood 'transparent' to represent 'inherit'
color from ancestor since I believe wrongly that 'transparent' was clear
like fully transparent glass. Now I understand that rgba(0,0,0,0) is
different from rgba(255,255,255,0) and the other 10 million color in
between.

So we have this.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/colors/gradient-yellow-trans.htm>

And for the yellow ~ transparent [1] you want the midway point to be
(255,255,0,0.5) [2] which when composite on a white background is the
same as the midway point between yellow ~ white. This I tried to emulate
with tiles [4] for many months where I could have simply used yellow ~
rgba(255,255,0,0.0).

--
Alan http://css-class.com/