Re: [css3-transform] definition of skewing

From: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 17:48:26 -0800
Cc: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com>

On Jan 25, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> There are 3 facts in this discussion:
> 1. with the current state of the spec, you can't create this type of 2D animation without going to a 3D space. Even then, the result looks different.
> 2. having skewx/y as opposed to rotate(x,y) as part of an animation can introduce unintended behavior where the graphic will either become very large or go to 0.
> 3. This is a transformation that is used quite often by animators since it's easy to find examples on the web.

You omitted one fact: SVG has a set of transform functions that does not include your notion of rotate(x,y). I think it would be a mistake to blaze a trail here unless we were absolutely certain it was the right set of new functionality. In the future we might want take a crack at unifying the Matrix functionality between the two and that might be a good time to refine the API. But in my opinion we shouldn't add this function in the first release.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com