[css3-text] Hyphenation Resources

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:15:08 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
The current CSS3 Text spec defines a 'hyphenation-resource' @-rule:

This was based on a similar property defined in CSS3 GCPM:

However, neither of these reference or define a syntax for the
hyphenation resource. Effectively, these are UA-specific
resources when defined this way.  As such, I don't see any reason
for supporting either the @-rule or the property in the current
form; they're both effectively vendor-specific properties with
*no* interoperability between user agents.  I think the format
should be defined/referenced explicitly or it should be removed
from the spec and left to a vendor-specific property.

For example, Antenna House uses this syntax:

Would this be a suitable format to require?  Or is there another
publicly available format that would also suffice?  Maybe
something from TeX would work?  What does Prince use?

I think one argument will be that CSS doesn't specify formats for
other types of resources such as images.  But in the case of
images there were already well-supported image types, so it
wasn't really necessary to specify these to achieve some form of
interoperability.  The same is not true for hyphenation

John Daggett