Re: [css4-ui]/[css4-selectors] Pseudo-class for selecting broken images & other external resources

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
> That only covers images, I think the point made and reiterated throughout
> was that this would be a nice feature for any external resource, so while
> that is a significant step forward from where we are today, it seems yes
> there are numerous cases that this would not cover...

Yes, another use-case presented was displaying an error message based
on script-loading status.  This is complex in different ways, though.
For example, XHRs are used in the same context as <script>-based
well).  There's no DOM element associated with an XHR, though, so you
can't just use a pseudoclass on an element to indicate this.  One
possible approach around this is to somehow associate loads with an
identifier and then use the ident in a pseudoclass, so that arbitrary
data loads can be hooked on.

On the other hand, hooking the error events in JS and updating, say,
an attribute on the body (for use in targetting selectors) is pretty
easy, works for all the various data-loading mechanisms, and can be
done today.  Are there ways we can make this easier, and would it be
worthwhile to expend the effort (in speccing, testing, and
implementing) to do so?