Re: [css4-ui]/[css4-selectors] Pseudo-class for selecting broken images & other external resources

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:50:14 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 12/28/11 11:30 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:
>
>> I would think that most use-cases (including those spelled out by the
>> initial links) are more about HTTP errors...
>>

> I mostly know about the use cases we've had for this in Gecko and Firefox
> extensions; every pseudo-class we implement for this was directly required
> by a use case.
>

>  As long as the thing is about readystate
>>

> There is no readystate on most resources.

I'm not sure that they all have to in order to add a lot of value - but
which common resources do not?  Some of them do not currently work
consistently, but generally speaking I think simple things like <script>,
<image> and <video> as being the most useful and I think those all do today
- yeah?  <iframe> _could_ be useful, but they kind of almost work as I
recall already... What else would you need? <object>?  I guess that could
be useful - not sure if it has readystate or not... I can imagine
potentially <link> or <style> (if you include @import as part of it) as
being useful, but... Which ones are problematic - and how hard would it be
to add any that would be really useful?

>  and did a consistent thing for all resources
>>

> Then it needs to not be defined in terms of readystate.

That sounds correct to me - most of the stated examples in this thread use
:readystate... Is that enough? Is it problematic?