The meaning of "normative"

From: Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:40:02 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

The word "normative" appears multiple times in the CSS documents.

For example, http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2 says "These descriptions are
normative. They are also complemented by the normative grammar rules
presented in Appendix G [p. 467] ."

But I don't have a very clear understanding of "normative". The
explanation of dictionary.com doesn't help me too much. To help me
understand its meaning, would you please let me know what are
non-normative? Any examples on non-normative examples?

nor·ma·tive   [nawr-muh-tiv]  Show IPA
adjective
1.
of or pertaining to a norm,  especially an assumed norm  regarded as
the standard of correctness in behavior, speech, writing, etc.
2.
tending or attempting to establish such a norm,  especially by the
prescription of rules: normative grammar.
3.
reflecting the assumption of such a norm  or favoring its
establishment: a normative attitude.
--
Regards,
Peng