Re: [css3-background] background-position computed value [ISSUE-197]

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:30:50 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On 12/07/2011 11:01 AM, Brian Manthos wrote:
> Here's an example from last night on IRC...
>
> Case A:
> 	specified: center top 20px
> 	computed (background module): left 50% top 20px
> 	computed (OM module): 50% 20px
>
> Case B:
> 	specified: center 20px
> 	computed (background module): 50% 20px
> 	computed (OM module): 50% 20px
>
> I strongly prefer the OM module's guidance here.  The OM module supports that "center top 20px" and "center 20px" can be stored by the parser as equivalent.  The background module does not.

OK, I've updated the editor's draft per dbaron's guidance to only specify
abstract data for inheritance. Here's the updated prose:

   # Computed value:
   #   Two keywords representing the origin and two offsets from that origin,
   #   each given as an absolute length (if given a <length>), otherwise as
   #   a percentage.

This defers the serialization issue to CSSOM. If you and dbaron could let
me know if that solves the problem, I'll close ISSUE-197.

~fantasai